Fortified Church Dumitra

Pews

In the church there is an old pew with tendril decoration and an inscription with the year 1616.

Altar

The neo-Gothic altar was erected in 1898. The two paintings on the altar, a "Noli me tangere" and an image of the Last Supper, are copies painted by Michael Fleischer after Plockhorst and da Vinci. Today the altar is behind the choir screen and cannot be seen from outside.

Bell Tower

The stone bell tower from the end of the 15th century formed the entrance to the churchyard. It was protected by a drop gate. Above the stone masonry is a weir storey with wooden weir walk. The year 1488 is written above the main entrance. House stone was used on the tower corners, entrance and door and window openings.

Bells

The large bell is pre-Reformation and bears the inscription "O rex glorie veni cum pace". The middle and small bells are both from 1922.

Ring wall

From the former ring wall only the bell tower has been preserved. Remains of the ring wall were removed in 1892 before the new church was built.

History

1319 The church of Dumitra ("ecclesia de villa Demetri") appears in a papal tax list. This is the first documented mention of the place.
1380 The king instructs the Szekler count to protect the inhabitants of Dumitra and Tărpiu against the encroachments of the nobles.
1440 Mettersdorf and other communities are pledged by Queen Elisabeth to Gregor Bethlen.
1447 The church dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist is mentioned in a document.
1450-1500 Construction of a stone bell tower.
1475 At the request of the parishes of Dumitra, Dipșa and Lechința, the king grants the right of patronage to the inhabitants of these parishes. The parish priests are chosen in agreement with the council of Bistrita.
1695 Dumitra is the largest community in the Bistrita district. It is inhabited by 90 families.
1706 Kurucs devastate the fortified church.
1840 The church is in a dilapidated condition. The dean requests the immediate closure.
1895-1899 Construction of the towerless hall church in neo-Gothic style. There are brick galleries on three sides of the hall.
1967 The church is shared with the Orthodox community.

Places in the surroundings