Fortified church Dealu frumos

The Gothic Crucifix

The Gothic crucifix that hangs above the triumphal arch today dates from before the Reformation. At the four ends of the cross are quatrefoil medallions with relief images of the evangelists. Their names are written in lowercase letters on tapes.

The pulpit

The classicistic pulpit was build in 1855 by the "sculptor and gilder" Fr. Joh. Peckatsch. When it was awarded, the condition applies that the new pulpit "must not be inferior to the Ruja pulpit in terms of beauty and genuine gilding" Ruja is the neighbohr village of Dealu Frumos.

Epitaph

An epitaph on the east wall of the nave is dated 1721 and, in addition to Latin inscriptions, contains pictures of priests in regalia and women in civic costumes.

The organ

Today's organ is the work of the organ builder Samuel Mätz from Biertan. It was erected in 1820. It has manual, pedal and 13 registers. The prospectus has classical features.

The bells

The large bell bears a German and a Latin inscription. It is dated 1628. The middle bell was also cast in Sibiu in 1628. The small bell bears the year 1538.

The fortifications

The church is surrounded by a rectangular ring equipped with loopholes and machicolations. Projecting fortification towers were built in the four corners of the enclosing wall, some with a rectangular, some with a square plan.

History

1200 - 1300 Construction of a towerless three-nave Romanesque pillar basilica with a square choir.
1321 First documentary mention of Dealu Frumos, in which Gerlachus de Pulcromonte (of Dealu Frumos) of a mill purchase in Stejarisu (The neighboring village) is mentioned.
1500 Dealu Frumos is a commune of the Cincu chair, where 51 families live. There is a mill in the village.
1500 The Romanesque basilica is rebuilt in a fortified manner. The side aisles are raised so that the interior takes the form of a hall church.
1794 First visitation report in the memorial book of Dealu Frumos
1870 Major fire in village
1910 The military authorities rented the "Schmylenfeld" (Romanian: Polygonul) and used it as a military training area. Today the military training area is used by NATO.
1911 In the choir of the church were found pre-Reformation wall paintings
1914 Construction of the community hall according to the plans of architect Fritz Balthes from Sighisoara.

Places in the surroundings