Fortified Church Codlea

Ring wall

A polygonal enclosing wall surrounds the church. It was built at the beginning of the 15th century, after the first Ottoman invasions of 1420. The defence wall is 8-10m high and up to 2m thick. It is provided with loopholes and machicolation positioned right under the top of the wall. Storerooms were attached to the inner side of the wall.

Altar

The present neo-Gothic altar was erected in 1904. It is the work of Johann Barthel from Brasov. In the center is a wooden sculpture depicting Jesus. It is flanked by smaller statues - Paul and Peter. The frame consists of Gothic ornamentation - pinnacles, finials, veil boards, crabs and flying buttresses.

Organ

The organ builder Prause from Silesia built a new organ in 1783, which was painted by the painter Oelhan. Parts of an old organ from 1709 are installed. The organ has a valuable baroque case and has two manuals, a pedal and 24 stops.

Coffered ceiling

The coffered ceiling is made in 1702. It has 252 painted fields. The individual fields are decorated with floral motifs, which are arranged around a wooden spindle. In the middle octagonal field there is an inscription with a quotation from the Bible, the names of the craftsmen and the year 1702. A portrait of the painter Thomas Groß is preserved on the west side of the coffered ceiling.

Romanesque portal

Today, only the remains of the Romanesque portal have been preserved from a Romanesque church. The triple-stepped round-arched portal has a jamb consisting of a half round bar and two round bars facing it. The arch with the same profiling is separated from the jamb by a capital frieze. The outer capitals have palmette decoration, the inner ones face masks and vegetal ornamentation. Above the shaft is an abacus, consisting of a moulding and round bar. After a destruction, the portal was incorrectly reassembled.

Bell tower

Southeast of the church stands the bell tower with a height of 65 meters. It is a massive keep. The tower received a sheathing, so the distance between the interior and the outer walls is 5 meters. In Hare 1793 the tower received a new roof. The earthquake of 1802 caused cracks in the tower, which is keyed with iron bands in the following year.

History

1200-1300 Construction of a Romanesque church.
1265 The black castle on Codlea Mountain is mentioned for the first time.
1345 The black castle on Codlea Mountai is said to have been destroyed by Tatars this year.
1377 In a royal privilege it is declared that Codlea and the 13 free communities of the Brasov region form a judicial and administrative unit, the capital of which is the city of Brasov. First documented mention of the village under the name "Cidinis".
1400-1500 The Romanesque church is converted into a Gothic hall church.
1421 Codlea is destroyed by the Turks.
1432 As a result of the Turkish invasions, it was decided to build an enclosing wall around the church.
1456 Vlad Ţepeş orders Codlea to be burned. The command could not be executed.
1510 In Codlea live 142 families, 21 widows, 6 poor, 4 millers, 16 shepherds, 2 servants, a bell ringer and a schoolmaster. 16 farms are deserted.
1520 In Codlea there is a water pipe made of wooden pipes.
1530 The Turks devastate the place.
1600 Michael the Brave invades the Brasov region and devastates Codlea among other places.
1611-12 Codlea and other Brasov region villages are destroyed by Gabriel Báthori's troops. Gabriel Báthori takes the fortified church, took the garrison away and killed them, and places a occupation of 100 men in the castle. Using cunning, the people of codlea, led by a man named Thomas Göbbel, succeed in recapturing the fortified church.
1628 A major fire caused by a carnival parade destroys the place.
1658 Turks besiege the fortified church. The Codlea pople have to hand over their cattle, but successfully defend the fortified church. The village is burned down.
1660 In the village 750 people die of the plague.
1704 Kurucs repeatedly come to Codlea and harass the inhabitants. Later an imperial battalion is in the village. At Codlea the Kurucs are defeated by the imperial troops. 409 fallen Kurutz are buried in a mound. The village also suffers from the imperial troops. Kurucs rob horses and plunder in Codlea in the following years.
1836 The moat around the church is filled in.
1855 Johann Michael Salzer notes that Codlea has wide and clean streets. The houses are built of stone and brick and have pointed gables throughout.
1903 The power plant is put into operation.

Places in the surroundings