Church castle in Cisnădioara

Defense wall

A ring wall was built around the Romanesque church on the hill at the beginning of the 13th century. To the south is a gate tower built on the inside of the wall. A walkway with battlements runs along the wall. A second tower stood a few meters in front of the ring wall to the north. Round, large stones lie in the courtyard, which were still on the enclosing wall around 1850 so that they could be rolled down on an enemy. According to legend, every bridegroom had to bring such a stone to the castle before his marriage.

West portal

The west portal has a deep, four-time stepped reveal and is completed by a round arch, also stepped four times. In the niches of the stairs are four columns each with a round and octagonal cross-section. Cube capitals are decorated with spiral bands, corner leaves, chip carving patterns and human heads.


1172 During excavations carried out by Radu Heitel in 1964, a coin from 1172 was found.
1200-1300 Around the Romanesque church on the castle hill a ring wall was built already at the beginning of the 13th century.
1204 - 1223 Sibiu gives the fortified church to King Andrew II and gets another land in return.
1322 Cisnădioară is called the property of Cârța monastery. The inhabitants are servants of the monastery.
1463-1464 The abbot of Cârța, Raimund Bärenfuß, demands high taxes from the inhabitants of Cisnădioară. The Seven Chairs takes the people from Cisnădioară under its protection.
1474 After the dissolution of the Cârța Abbey, the village comes to Sibiu by royal donation.
1510 Two papal commissioners award the church castle to Cisnădioară. The people from the neighboohrvillage Cisnădie enter the castle church by force of arms.
1511 In Rome, the castle of the church of Cisnădioară is attributed to the inhabitants of the neighbouring village of Cisnădie
1658 The village is burned down by Turkish troops. The inhabitants save themselves in the castle.
1705 Imperial troops loot and burn the village.

Places in the surroundings