Fortified Church Cața

Altar & Organ

The classicistic altar, a work by Michael Wolf from Schässburg, was erected in 1813, above it stands the organ by Andreas Eitel, Kronstadt, which was replaced in 1931 by a new organ by the Wegenstein company, Temeschburg.

twin windows

In the course of renovation work in 1969, two Romanesque twin windows were uncovered in the northern clerestory.

parish tower

The parish tower, which has a battlement and a pyramid roof, was built in 1677 in the south-east corner of the outer ring wall. It has a pentagonal plan and was built as a residential tower. Three of the four floors could be heated. The tower has a blue, white and red molding decoration. German and Latin teaching texts are located in three niches.


The inner ring of the fortifications with four towers was built on older foundations in the 15th century. It forms an irregular oval. The wall is about 8 m high. The four-storey west tower above the old entrance has a wooden battlement. To the north, a four-storey tower is also placed in front of the wall of the inner ring. This also has an open battlement on hanging trestles and is equipped with loopholes and a pyramid roof. Around 1500 a tower is built in the northeast, the top floor of which rests on stone consoles. He has bad luck and loopholes. A second ring is built in the 17th century in the south of the fortified church. It is reinforced by two towers.


1200-1300 Construction of a three-nave Romanesque pillar basilica with a bell tower over the western part of the central nave.
1400 First documented mention of the place in a register of interest payments.
1400-1500 The church is fortified.
1453 Cața is a free village in the Sibiu Province.
1500 In the village live 92 families, 5 shepherds and 2 poor people live.
1600-1700 A second ring wall is built in the south of the fortified church. It is reinforced by two towers.
1640 In the village live 171 families and 39 settlers.
1658 Tatars and Turks burn down the village.
1684 Warbands returning from the siege of Vienna plunder the fortified church and steal 337 horses.
1706 The village, including the church, school and vicarage, burns down completely.
1711 Installation of a wooden gallery.
1795 The elderly of Cața adopt new regulations on the costume.
1819 New dress code.
1847 Once again, the village adopts a new dress code.
1884 The north tower of the outer ring wall along with the north-eastern side of the wall are demolished for the construction of a new school.
1894 The church tower collapses. The nave vaults are destroyed, as well as the side aisles and the west portal.
1931 Construction of a new organ by the Wegenstein company (Temesvar).
1936-1937 A section of the ring wall is removed to build the evangelical community center.

Places in the surroundings