Fortified Church Buzd

The choir

The oldest and most interesting part of the complex is the choir, the foundations of which in all probability date back to the 14th century. It is 7.4 m long and 4.6 m wide. The choir vault consists of a rectangular cross vault bay and a lunette vault with double-fluted sandstone ribs. The keystones are flat, undecorated discs, possibly formerly painted. Of the four chancel windows, the narrow north-east window has retained its tracery. It has a trefoil in the pointed arch field and a cloverleaf arch underneath.

Gothic west portal

At the main entrance to the church is the Gothic west portal. The portal consists of three pear bars between coving. The upper finish of the portal is a capital frieze composed of oak leaf motifs.

Baroque altar

The baroque altar dates from 1778. In the center of the altar is a crucifix sculpture in front of an architectural landscape. At the top is an Agnus Dei depiction. The center image is flanked by two statues, Paul and Moses. The rich architectural decoration consists of Corinthian columns, pilasters, curved architraves and rococo veil boards. The richly decorated altar and Gothic choir form an impressive work of art.


In 1904 the congregation bought an 8-stop organ from Orăștie, built by Samuel Mätz in 1823.


A large bell is from 1926 and a smaller one from 1510, it has the inscription "o maria tuere plebem busdanam 1510" (O Mary protect the people of Buzd).


At a distance of only a few meters from the church, an irregular polygonal ring is erected. It used to have a gate tower in the north-east and a second tower in the north-west corner of the ring wall. The original height of the wall was 6-7 m. The beginnings of the vault and the remains of a portcullis can still be seen from the gate tower. The ring wall is made of stone and bricks. Slits and casting holes can be found in places.


1300-1400 The oldest and most interesting part of the complex is the chancel, the foundations of which in all probability date back to the 14th century.
1356 First documented mention. A "Hengli" from "Busd" is mentioned whose brother was murdered.
1359 Count Johannes and all the elders of Buzd take part in a meeting of the Medias see. Buzd is a free congregation of the Medias see.
1500 Three defensive floors made of brick masonry are built above the chancel.
1516 30 families, 6 widows, 2 shepherds, a miller and a schoolmaster live in Buzd.
1532 "Busz" is a village with 61 landlords.
1846 The hall is rebuilt and gets its present appearance. It has a flat stucco ceiling.
1880 In the church services, the sermon is mostly in Saxon.
1890 The tower collapses due to an earthquake.
1942 The boys from Buzd allegedly went to war with the slogan "Attention, Stalin, the boys from Buzd are coming". Many did not come back.

Places in the surroundings