Fortified Church Batoș

Altar

The neo-Gothic altar was installed in 1864. Supplemented with ornamentation and owing to natural lighting, the richly stucco-decorated church space produces a homogeneous, yet interesting impression.

Pulpit

Above the brick pulpit base rises the brick parapet with Baroque ornamentation. The canopy is a two-part tower-like structure with rich wooden architecture, crowned by an eye of God. On the bottom of the canopy is the date 1774.

Organ

An organ consisting of two manuals, pedal and 17 stops comes from the workshop of Karl Einschenk/Brasov and was installed in 1902. The prospect has neo-Gothic decoration.

Painted panels

On the side walls of the central nave, in front of the arches leading to the aisles, there are painted panels on the parapet of the pews. The thirty panels from around 1700 symbolically depict the seasons and months as well as biblical scenes.

Gothic details

The choir is covered with a ribbed vault, the keystones of which have a rosette and a circle with foliage. The ribs have pear-bar profile. The triumphal arch has a pointed arch shape. Towards the sacristy a Gothic door frame is preserved. On the choir windows there are remains of Gothic tracery. The two-part windows, whose central columns are preserved, have trefoil pointed arches in the upper part with a rosette above. On the north wall of the choir there is a sacramental niche from the late Gothic period with a round-arched end and rich profiling consisting of round bars, rectangular bars and coving. A two-part Gothic seating niche with a rudimentary ribbed vault is built into the south wall of the chancel. The round-arched west portal is articulated with coving and round bars. The north entrance has a pointed arch.

Ring wall

The church is surrounded by a simple polygonal stone wall; A stone tablet with an inscription and the year 1636 is placed in a niche.

Bell tower

The bell tower protruding in front of the church's enclosing wall is located 15 m south-east of the church. On the west side of the tower there is a stone tablet with a Latin inscription, on which the year 1638 used to be read. The three bells are from the 20th century.

History

1228 First documented mention of the place "terra Radus", misspelling of "Badus".
1300-1400 Significant parts of the present church originate from a Gothic church whose first construction phase can probably be dated to the 14th century.
1507 Batoș is called marketplace "Oppidum".
1728 The church is "completely ruined" by a major fire.
1733 Burning of witches in Batoș.
1775 Due to the overpopulation of the community, residents of Batoș move 30 km north to Satu nou.
1781 It can be assumed that the Baroque reconstruction of the church took place in 1781.
1972 The vaults of the nave have been secured by a construction over the belt arches.
1998-99 Repair and painting work has been carried out at the request of the German-based Association of Batos Villagers.

Places in the surroundings