Castle Rupea

History

1289 The first mention of the stream in Rupea ("rivulus Kozd"), after which the administrative region with its seat in Rupea is named.
1324 The Rupea castle ("castrum Kuholm") is mentioned for the first time in connection with its siege by the voivode Thomas. Rebellious Saxons under the leadership of Count Henning of Petersdorf had retreated to the castle. They are forced to obey with the support of the Cumans by the voivode Thomas.
1340 The parish priests of the Rupea region send a petition to the Transylvanian bishop of Alba Iulia, emphasizing that their villages and churches have been devastated. They ask the bishop to release them from back payments and promise to pay the bishop 26 silver marks annually.
1413 King Sigismund states that the castellans of the royal castle of Rupea have oppressed the villages of Crit, Cloasterf and Mesendorf, which belong to the Carta Abbey, with tributes. The document shows that the Rupea castle is destroyed. For the last time royal castellans are mentioned at Rupea Castle.
1431-32 The Count of Szekler passes through the Rupea chair and causes damage worth 7000 florins. The king in Sienna orders that the Szekler count has to compensate the damage.
1600-1601 The people of Rupea are weakened by a conflagration and cannot participate in the Sibiu province's deployment. The people of Rupea ask the Sibiu Council for help against the Romanians and Szekler from Fagaras.
1602-04 Troops of Bäthori and Szekely, appointed prince by Basta, pass through the town and the chair and have to be entertained. The people of Rupea give a silver can worth 40 florins to the court church in Prague and a horse worth 45 florins to Basta. In the following year a troop of the Wallachian voivode passes through Rupea. He receives from the chair 92 ducats and 106 florins for the rations of his troops. After that there are also imperial soldiers (Walloons) who have to be fed as well.
1605 Thirty people of Rupea - respected men - are beheaded.
1623 The 59m deep well in the castle is dug.
1639 At the invitation of the people of Rupea, Prince George Rákóczy I comes to Rupea and is picked up with 416 horses. From now on he visits the people of Rupea frequently.
1689 Five companies of " German peoples" take up winter quarters in Rupea, Cața and Drăușeni. They have to be supplied with wheat, meat, wine and oats.
1691 Work is being done on the fortification of the castle. In the summer 4818 workers are employed in the fortification works.
1698 It is stated that 1099 fathers of families live in the Rupea chair. 333 fathers of families have emigrated and live on county land. The debt burden in the chair is close to 100000 florins, for which 14169 fl. of interest must be paid annually.
1708 Both the imperials and the Kurucs demand auxiliary services and extort money from the people of Rupea. Kurucs invade the Rupea chair and plunder many villages.
1714 Swedish troops of King Charles XII. move through Reupea and are entertained.
1719 623 people die from the plague.
1735 Weapons are acquired for the defense of the castle.
1782 It seems that most of the houses in Rupea are built of wood and covered with straw.
1784 The Rupea chair is dissolved as an administrative unit and attached to the Fogaras county.
1789 The news spread that the Turks had invaded the country. For the last time, the people of Rupea seek protection within the walls of their castle.
1838 At the suggestion of the king's judge Daniel Sifft, a fund for the preservation of the castle is established.
1869-1873 Construction of the railway line.
1900 Rupea is a large commune in Târnava-Mare County and has 2968 inhabitants.