Fortified Church Cricău

West portal

Portalul vestic al bazilicii romanice există încă. Aceasta a fost descoperită și consolidată în 1966-1968,

Twin windows

The twin windows in the tower are from the Romanesque construction phase. The year "1572" next to the window does not refer to the windows but to a later renovation. The windows are probably three centuries older.

Ring wall

The church is surrounded by an oval stone ring wall, 1.3 m thick. In the northeast there are remains of a round tower and in the northwest the foundation walls of a square gate tower.

History

100-300 Stones with Roman inscriptions were used in the construction of the church.
1206 King Andreas II issues a certificate for the "first guests" from the three villages of Cricău, Ighiu and Romos, in which he assures them of special freedoms: they are freed from foreign jurisdiction, are to follow the customs of the The people live and are not obliged to serve the voivodes. They are exempt from all taxes, including guard duty at the borders of the country. They are only obliged to follow the army if the king goes to war outside the empire. In this document appears for the first time the term "Saxones".
1241 After the Mongol invasion of 1241, the church received a 3/6 east choir.
1250-1300 Construction of a three-nave Romanesque basilica.
1265 King Stephen the Younger, having learned about the oppression of the inhabitants of Cricău and Ighiu by the voivodes, confirms the privileges granted by his predecessors.
1334 Cricău has 188 hearths, and the pleban Paulus pays the papal tax collector 3 silver marks.
1439 In the course of time, the inhabitants of Cricău became serfs of the Alba Iulia bishopric.
1848 A large part of the Hungarian population perishes in the revolutionary actions.
1968 During the renovation of the church a stone with the names "Ulricus" and "Maria" was uncovered.