Castle Gârbova

Circular wall

The circular wall has a battlement, which partially rests on arches. In the upper part of the circular wall there are shooting niches. In the southwest corner of the complex, remains of a defense tower can be seen.

Gate tower

The main entrance is from the north. A strong gate tower was built here, with a barrel-vaulted ground floor between two arches. To the outside, the sliding channels of the portcullis can be seen. In front of it there is an entrance tunnel with two upper floors. In plan it is irregular, on the north front of the gate weirs are inserted Roman soil finds: Diana and two lions.

Parish church

On the west side of the square in front of the castle in the front of the houses stands the parish church, a late Gothic building from the beginning of the 16th century. After destructions in 1599 the church is rebuilt in baroque style. The richly ornamented altar from 1747 has a crucifix in the center flanked by evangelists, Moses and Aron.

History

1100 Archaeological excavations have shown that around 1100 Hungarian Szekler lived in Gârbova.
1200 The Szeklers living here are resettled in southeastern Transylvania in the Orbai Szekler chair. Saxons are settled in their place.
1200-1300 A castle is built in the middle of the village. It consists of a keep and a quadrangular ring with rounded corners.
1291 First documented mention of the place under the name of Urbou.
1487 The Counts of Vingard created the Romanian village of "New village" in the area of ​​Gârbova and are trying to tear it away from the royal soil. King Matthias orders the destruction of the village.
1500 Gârbova is a free community of the Miercura Sibiului see, in which 64 families, 4 poor people and a schoolmaster live. Four houses are abandoned.
1506 Gârbova receives support of 6 guilders for the expansion of the castle.
1529 During the war for the Hungarian throne, Gârbova was burned down.
1599 The troops of Michael the Brave devastate the region. Gârbova is also suffering badly. Pastor and dean Georg Alexi Vízaknai is killed. The number of families in the region drops from 400 to 11.
1625 The castle is restored.
1658 The castle withstood an onslaught of Turkish troops.
1689 The villages Apoldu de Sus, Gârbova and Dobârca are heavily burdened by taxes. There is a danger that the villagers will leave their villages.
1705 The castle is attacked by kurucs.
1879 The keep is expanded as a bell tower and raised by several floors, reaching 57 meters.