Fortified Church Bălcaciu

Choir

The oldest part of the church is the fortified choir. The chancel, 10.2 x 6 m, is closed on five sides. The choir square is spanned by a cross vault. Above the vault there are three defensive floors and a battlement with a wooden parapet, it rests on the triple stepped buttresses and wooden consoles in between. There are key embrasures built into the choir walls. In the north of the choir there is a barrel-vaulted sacristy with two upper floors.

Altar

The classical altar dates from 1823. The central image is a crucifixion, painted by Franz Neuhauser. It is flanked by two Corinthian columns. Life-size wooden sculptures of Moses and John are placed on the outside of the altar. The altar has a strongly curved cornice crowning, above which can be seen an haloed eye of God and two wooden angels. Below the main picture is a copy of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper, executed by Hannenheim.

Baptismal font

The wooden baptismal font was erected in 1832. An old wooden baptismal font in the shape of a chalice has been preserved in the sacristy.

Organ

In 1820, Samuel Mätz created a two-manual organ with pedal and 18 registers for Bălcaciu. The case is designed in Empire style.

Textiles

In front of the altar is a carpet from 1687 with an inscription. There is also a blue lectern cloth and a pulpit hanging from 1795 and a flag from 1802 in the church.

Bells

Two pre-Reformation bells from the 15th century have been preserved in Bălcaciu. The middle bell bears the inscription: "O rex glorie veni cum pace". It has oak leaf and lily leaf decoration. The small bell has no inscription, but has coat of arms-like decorations with the following themes: horseman with falcons, winged dragon and human head, an angelic figure, lion with human head.

Defenses

In the Middle Ages the church was surrounded by two ring walls. The inner ring was removed in 1807. The outer wall originally had a pentagonal tower and five square towers. The pentagonal tower was demolished in 1933. Another tower to the north has also been demolished. Along the two ring walls there were one-roomed cottages, which were also demolished in 1954-1960; they were mostly two-storied. The ring wall is 5 meters high, with embrasures at 4 meters. It is built of mixed masonry. The tower in the south-east of the ring wall is a shell tower that has recently been extended inwards and covered with a barrel vault. The entrance to the castle is through a bastion, which is now used as a castle keeper's apartment. The other towers are in front of the circular wall. They have pitched roofs and vaulted rooms inside that were used as wine cellars.

History

1319 First documented mention. King Karl Robert confirms an agreement between the Counts of Talmaciu and Cisnadie over various possessions, including Bălcaciu "Bolkach".
1324 Nikolaus of Talmaciu gives the communities of Bălcaciu and Jidvei to his sister Katharina and her husband, Count Peter of Cisnădie.
1434 Some of the inhabitants of the village are referred to as subjects of the Church of St. Mary of Sibiu.
1482 King Matthias gives the village the right to hold markets.
1714 Trial against the pastor of the village because of his affection for Pietism.
1721 It is stated that the eastern part of Bălcaciu is owned by the Bethlen family, while the western part of the village belongs to Sibiu. The dwellings are built of wood, 2-3 families live on one yard.
1763 Pastor Georg Klein is held accountable for his connections to the Moravian Church (Pietism).
1772 A painted wooden offering box with a decorated capital - columns and rosettes - dates from this year.
1801 The place burns down to a few houses.
1807 The inner ring of the wall has been removed.
1807-1810 The hall and tower of the old church are demolished. A new church is built on the remaining choir tower. It is a three-aisled hall church with a barrel vault.
1855-1856 A bell tower with a steep pyramidal roof was added to the west facade of the church by master builder Adolf Kessler from Medias.
1885 Farmers from Axente Sever emigrate to Bălcaciu.
1933 The pentagonal tower has been demolished.
1954-1960 Along the two ring walls stood guard houses, which were demolished in 1954-1960; they were mostly two-story.