Fortified Church Saschiz

Pulpit

The pulpit is baroque and bears the date 1709, the upper pulpit parapet 1787 and the pulpit lid 1710.

Organ

The organ was set up in 1786 by Johannes Prause (Brasov) on the newly built west gallery. In 1878 it was enlarged by J. Nagy from Kronstadt. The organ is considered a valuable baroque instrument.

Altar

The baroque altar was erected in 1735. The main image depicts Jesus and Mary Magdalene "noli me tangere" (Do not touch me) and is flanked by Corinthian columns. Above it is an image depicting Jesus in Gethsemane.

Pews

Beautiful late Gothic pews from the following guilds are set up in the church: shoemakers, cooperage, wheelwrights, potters and tailors.

Cistercian Gothic

In the western part of the church there is preserved architectural sculpture from a second church in the style of Cistercian Gothic. The present third church is a late Gothic hall church.

Vault

In the western part of the church there is preserved architectural sculpture from a second church in the style of Cistercian Gothic. The present third church is a late Gothic hall church.

Capitals

A few capitals have survived from a first Romanesque basilica. They are cube capitals with intricate band ornamentation, spirals, pearl ornaments and corner leaves.

Fortified storey

Above the stone masonry of the church rises a fortified storey over the chancel and nave. It rests on the outside on flat arched arches, which cover the embrasures. The walls of the battlement have niches and embrasures. Access to the fortified storey is through two stairway towers on the west side of the church. A 16 m high roof covers the choir and the hall.

Sacristy tower

To the north of the choir is a small square sacristy, to which a lancet portal leads from the choir. The sacristy has two upper floors above the star vault, creating a sacristy tower.

Bell tower

At a distance of 11m north of the sacristy stands the bell tower. In plan it has a side length of 11.6 m. The walls are 3 m thick at the base. The tower is built exclusively of stone up to the cast slit ring. Access to the second floor is via stair tunnels in the thickness of the wall. Wide and high shooting niches open in the wall. In view of the massiveness of the masonry, it can be dated to the 14th century. - or earlier - near. Around 1678, two more storeys were built up. Based on the example of the hour tower in Sighisoara, the tower will have a baroque roof truss. In a tower window stands a life-size wooden figure with a coat and fur cap, called Bogdan.

History

1000-1100 Establishment of the settlement by Székelys border guards in the course of the expansion of the Kingdom of Hungary into the eastern areas of Transylvania and the advancement of the Gyepü defense line.
1161-1241 The Székelys living in this area are partially replaced by German settlers. They are resettled on the eastern edge of Transylvania, where they founded the chair "Kézdi".
1309 First documented mention of the place. Saschiz is the focus of a chapter that bears the name "Kisdér" (Saschiz).
1356 "Comes Jacobus" complains to the voivode that the Saxons from Saschiz and other villages have broken into his properties in Vânători and Șard and threatened his wife and daughters. They then damaged the church in Bunesti and stole property documents.
1419 The count Michael of Nadeș reports to King Sigismund that at the time of King Louis the city of Saschiz ("civitate Zaazkyzd") had a king-appointed king's judge and a self-elected jury. The king confirmed these judicial powers of Saschiz.
1470 The voivode Johann Pongracz issues a document in Saschiz, which states that half of the Saschiz community may stay behind in case of a military deployment to defend the castle. The other half has to take part in the military operation.
1478 In the village there is a furrier guild (a guild for fur-processing)
1480-1500 In the course of the fortification of the church at the end of the 15th century, a late medieval ring wall was built, parts of which have been preserved in the south and south-east.
1493 All residents of Saschiz are stopped by the governor, under threat of punishment, to help build the church. For the duration of the construction work, the village is released from the obligation to take part in the army campaigns against the Turks.
1493-1525 The third and present church, a late Gothic hall church, is built. It was dedicated to St. Stephen.
1494 The community receives 50 guilders from the treasury of the Sibiu Province for the construction of the church.
1500 209 Families, a schoolmaster, 7 settlers and 8 shepherds live in the village.
1503-1508 Tax reductions due to construction work on the church and fortified church.
1535 Oldest document about the Saschiz blacksmiths' guild.
1604 General Basta's imperial troops cause great damage.
1663 The prince of the Moldau camps in Saschiz with 600 men. The place and the church are plundered.
1671 Saschiz is among the rural communities of the Sighisoara Chair in first place. It has 143 families, 34 settlers and 51 widows.
1703 The community has a debt of 6349 guilders. Meadows, forests and farmland are pledged to the creditors for the interest.
1714 Major fire in the Village. The tower, rectory, school, town hall, preacher's building and most of the market are damaged or destroyed. The three bells melt and the tower clock burns.
1778 Construction of the organ gallery in the west of the church hall.
1791 All three bells fall from the tower in the fire without breaking.
1916 During the First World War, the bells from 1776 and 1784 are requisitioned and melted down for the war.
1999 Since this year Saschiz has been on the UNESCO World Heritage List.