The church itself was built in romanesque architecture in the 13th century, most likely without any tower. It was then rebuilt to a gothic church in the 15th century, with a massive bell tower. Its medieval and renaissance looks are well preserved, and it is in an overall good condition. The churchcastle sits on a hill in the center of the village, in a way, so that the sophisticated road network further magnifies, the churchcastles looks.
Mr. Sebastian Bethge +40/722/208 495
The current altar was built in 1821 by Johann Theiß. It is in a classical style and partially gold plated. The main figure shows Jesus Christ on the cross. The figures to the left and right are Petrus and Paulus.
The pulpit is made from stone and was built in 1764. It is in baroque architecture.
The organ in the church was built in 1821 by Johann Theiß. It has 18 registers and 2 manuals.
The major bell was cast pre-reformation. It has a Latin inscription. The minor bell was cast in 1554 and has a Latin inscription as well.
The galleries north and south to the middleship show paintings of various bible scenes. They are dated to 1702.
The church still has some chest benches which were used to store anything important ranging from food for sunday, to costumes. They were used to protect these things from vagabonds and armies.
The inner bailey of the churchcastle was likely constructed before 1500. Further fortifications were done later in the early 16th century. The bell tower was fortified to a donjon, and another bailey with three more towers were added. However there are also two so called "Fruchthäuser" in the north connected to the baileys, which could each act as a fort on their own. There used to be weir walks on both baileys too.
|1200-1300||Construction of the original romanesque church.|
|1309||First mention of the village.|
|1400-1500||The church is rebuilt in gothic manner.|
|1500||There are 89 families and 4 shepherds living in the village.|
|1500-1550||Fortification of the church.|
|1532||There are 95 families living in the village now.|
|1658||Ottoman troops rest in the village.|
|1663||Ottoman janissaries stay for 11 weeks in the village.|
|1671||Because of the hardships of war, there are only 84 families and 34 widows left in the village.|
|1689||The village has to go into large debt, to pay the Austrian crown for "freeing" them.|
|1694||There was a fire in the village. Therefore it has to pay less tax than usual.|
|1797||A large fire has devastated the village. Only the church and a handful of houses remain.|
|1872||Another large-fire plagues the village.|
|1898||The construction of a narrow-gauge railway from Sighisoara to Agnita is completed.|