Seleus fortified church


Fortified church in Seleus

Keys are by +40 0 787 750 628

In the already free community by the end of the 14th century, a church hall in the late Gothic style was erected. In 1500 it was surrounded by an irregular defence wall, which still exists today. On the southern side there is the imposing gate tower, which serves as a bell tower at the same time, being endowed with machicoulis and a wooden defence floor, covered by a pyramidal roof. At the beginning of the 19th century the church went through many changes: the building was extended to the west, the nave was covered with a stuccoed ceiling, while the chancel preserved its ribbed cross vault. The interior furniture from the 19th century comprises the three side wooden gallery built on columns, the organ from 1843 and the beautiful neoclassical pew in the chancel. The painter Andreas Hermann from Sighişoara made the altar as early as 1713. The interior still keeps the strict sitting order of the Transylvanian Saxons, with places for men in the galleries, places for women in the hall’s benches, according to their age, as well as places in the chancel for the candidates awaiting confirmation and the members of the Presbyterian committee.