Fortified church Feldioara

Altar

The classical altar was created in the first half of the 19th century. The altarpiece was painted by Friedrich Mieß and shows the Savior with the Samaritan who was healed of leprosy.

Organ

The present organ dates from 1799 and has been repaired in 1844, 1848, 1870, 1893, 1911 and 1925. It has pedal, manual and 16 stops.

Twin windows

The main nave is separated from the side naves by narrow and low arcades. Above them are Romanesque twin windows, which have small columns with simple cube capitals.

Capitals

The Gothic choir rests on pillars that have capitals of various designs. Some of them bear high reliefs with pictorial representations. The eight capitals of the two sides of the choir show the following figural decorations: north side - two hounds of hell, a small crouching figure of a troll, a stag being chased by a dog, a stag being chased by two dogs and a hunter armed with a spear; south side: two mythical creatures turned against each other, two armed warriors fighting against each other, two mythical creatures fighting against each other, and Gothic vine leaves.

History

1211 King Andreas II summoned the Teutonic Order to Transylvania for the purpose of border defense and Christian missions. From now on, the Țara Bârsei/Burzenland was ruled from Feldioara.
1220-1300 Construction of a three-aisled Romanesque basilica with a west bell tower.
1226 In February, a messenger from the Teutonic Order in Rome reported that they had evacuated Țara Bârsei/Burzenland.
1240 King Béla IV gives the Cistercian Order the patronage and the income of some churches in Țara Bârsei/Burzenland, namely Feldioara and three other villages. This is the first documented mention of Feldioara.
1377 A royal privilege shows that Feldioara and the other 12 free communities of the Țara Bârsei/Burzenland form a judicial and administrative unit with Brasov.
1379 King Ludwig grants the Saxons of Feldioara the right to hold a market in every Thursday of the week.
1380 King Ludwig grants Feldioara the right of asylum for the space within the wall around the church. This is one of the only mentions of church asylum in Transylvania.
1380-1420 Construction of the Gothic choir.
1413 In Feldioara there is a leper hospital and a nurse.
1420 The city walls of Feldioara are mentioned in a document.
1432 Feldioara suffers great damage from a Turkish invasion.
1510 In the village 158 families, 12 widows, 6 poor widows, 9 poor landlords, 13 shepherds and 2 millers are living. Two houses are deserted.
1553 Plague epidemic.
1599-1600 Troops of Michael the Brave burn Feldioara down several times.
1611 During the fighting between Prince Gabriel Báthori and the Wallachian voivode Radu Şerban, Feldioara was burned down.
1612 Battle of Feldioara between Brasov's troops and those of Prince Gabriel Báthori. The Brasov army is defeated by the betrayal of the mercenary troops. 300 Saxon citizens and farmers and 39 students from Brasov high school perish.
1658 Feldioara and other Țara Bârsei/Burzenland villages are burned down by the Turks and their followers.
1672 In the village 41 families, 13 settlers and 8 widows are living.
1690 Imperial troops burn the village.
1718-1719 In the village, 377 inhabitants die of the plague. 70 houses are empty.
1838 An earthquake damages the church.