Fortified Church Ungra

Baroque altar

The baroque altar comes from the second half of the 18th century. A 16th-century Crucifixion from an older altar hangs in the nave.

Organ

Today's organ was built by Heinrich Maywald (Brasov) in 1846. It has 13 registers.

West portal

The Romanesque round-arched portal on the ground floor of the tower has steps. The columns that stood in the niches formed by them have disappeared. In the quadruple stepping of the semi-circular arch of the portal are three round bars.

Ring wall

The ring wall seems heterogeneous : in the east, between the gate tower and the pentagonal tower, an older section, possibly from the 13th century, is preserved, while the three sides to the south, west and north were built in the 15th-17th centuries. The dimensions of the polygon are 52 x 35 m. The ring wall is reinforced by towers and bastions.

Roman camp

Near Ungra, the remains of a Roman camp have been found. Stones of Roman buildings from this area are used in the construction of the church. Two stones with weathered lion heads are walled in to the left of the west portal.

History

1200-1300 Construction of a Romanesque basilica with a west tower.
1211 In the award document of Andrew II, in which the Țara Bârsei is given to the Teutonic Knights, the castrum "Noilgiant" is mentioned. Possibly this was a Hungarian base at the place of today's Ungra.
1500 Ungra is a village of the Rupea seat with 33 families and 4 shepherds. One farm is deserted.
1500 The side aisles are removed and the arches are bricked up.
1500-1600 Hungarians and Szeklers settle in the village.
1658 Turkish troops destroy the village and kidnap the inhabitants.
1658 The fortified church is fumigated and taken, later the church is covered with straw.
1701 In the redistribution of church places, 62 of the women have Saxon surnames and 34 have Hungarian surnames.
1704 Kurucs looting and pillaging in Ungra.
1719 The plague kills 187 inhabitants of the village.
1761 The church receives a new tower roof.
1843 The tower, damaged by the earthquakes of 1802 and 1829, is demolished, exposing the west portal.