Fortified Church Şomartin

Baroque altar

The central image of the baroque altar is a Last Supper scene by the Sibiu painter Johann Martin Stock and is dated 1730. To the side of the central picture are two Corinthian columns, above them a pediment with the eye of God, and a crucifix as the upper end. The altar closes at the side with baroque tendrils.


The organ was built in 1811 by Samuel Mätz. It has a baroque-classical case, 2 manuals and 16 registers. The organ was brought to the city church in Sibiu.

Fortification wall

The Şomartin church was surrounded by a rectangular ring, the ground plan of which can be determined from sketches in the land register.


1200 - 1300 Construction of a three-nave basilica with a western tower. The best-preserved part of the Romanesque church is the west front with the west portal and tower.
1307 "Martonhegy" or Şomartin is mentioned for the first time in a document concerning the territorial division of the neighboring village.
1332-1335 "Johannes de Monte Martini" is mentioned among the priests of the Sibiu provost.
1450 - 1500 In the course of the fortification of the church at the end of the 15th century, a fortified storey was built above the choir, which rested on circular segment arches above the buttresses. In the course of construction work around 1500, a six-story west tower was erected in the south of the chancel, made of river and quarry stone masonry.
1500 In Somartin live 16 families, a shepherd and a teacher. "Mertesberg" is a free commune in the seat of Cincu.
1520 Şomartin receives support from the treasury of the Sibiu Province for the fortification of the church.
1532 Şomartin is inhabited by 34 families
1700 Parts of Şomartin were pledged to the Voivode Constantin Brâncoveanu, Prince of Wallachia.

Places in the surroundings