Fortified Church Şeica Mare


There is a large pre-Reformation bell; it has medallions with dragon figures, knights and falcons and the inscription M a+a in monk's minuscule. The small bell dates from 1647.


Friedrich and Wilhelm Mätz build today's organ in 1839.


At present, nothing is left of the fortress that once surrounded the church in the form of an irregular quadrangle. On old illustrations we recognize a fortified house, a high shield wall in the east and corner towers in the west. The enclosing wall was demolished in 1906 and replaced with an iron fence in 1908.


1300 Construction of a basilica in the transitional style from Romanesque to Gothic. Two clerestory windows on the north wall of the church have been preserved from the basilica.
1309 First documented mention. "Symon decanus de Selk" is listed among the deans.
1336 The Schelker (Şeica Mare) chair is mentioned for the first time.
1400-1500 Construction of a strong fortified church with towers and bastions.
1412 Şeica Mare receives the annual fair rights.
1414 A document mentions that the church in Şeica Mare is dedicated to Saint Martin.
1516 In Şeica Mare 62 families, 4 widows, 4 shepherds and a miller are living.
1520 The basilica is being rebuilt. The aisles are removed. The central nave has a barrel vault with lunettes and a clay rib network.
1705 Seven thousand Kurucs live in Şeica Mare for 64 days and devastate the village.
1720 An organ is set up by Martinus Hammer from Sibiu. It no longer exists.
1806 A new bell tower was added to the west of the church.
1906 The ring wall with towers and fortifications were completely demolished.
1908 In Şeica Mare there were guilds of linen weavers, shoemakers, wool weavers, blacksmiths, bricklayers, wheelwrights and potters.

Places in the surroundings